This is the story of how we begin to remember
This is the powerful pulsing of love in the vein
With the lyrics to the Paul Simon, Miriam Makeba duet looping in my mind, I flung procrastination aside to pen the inaugural post of a blog that I have wanted to write for so long. It is the eve of my return home to Zambia after being gone for the greater part of the last decade. I had left to pursue that higher education that is supposed to open doors and was concerned about not being another 'Brain Drain' statistic. It is a typical story, I claim no exceptional honors or excuses.
While I am student of economics and public policy and this bias will reveal itself, this will not be a wonkish, theory-laced blog but more subjective one. Fair warning; I will be expressing my opinion from time to time and you are free to disagree. While I have given narrative to this inaugural blog my personal story will not be part of the blog.
The last thing that remains to be clarified is the reason behind the URL. 'Kunachi' means daybreak in my mother tongue Luvale and the aim of the blog is to be a forum for the exchange of ideas, a place of enlightenment, where each dawn brings with it new opportunities for African success.
This is the powerful pulsing of love in the vein
With the lyrics to the Paul Simon, Miriam Makeba duet looping in my mind, I flung procrastination aside to pen the inaugural post of a blog that I have wanted to write for so long. It is the eve of my return home to Zambia after being gone for the greater part of the last decade. I had left to pursue that higher education that is supposed to open doors and was concerned about not being another 'Brain Drain' statistic. It is a typical story, I claim no exceptional honors or excuses.
Why write a blog?
It was a week that saw the end of 50th year celebrations for the African Union and Boko Haram continued to cause havoc in Nigeria. In Zambia, members of civic organizations protesting the removal of petroleum subsidies were attacked and viciously beaten by political cadres while they met in a church. Suffice to say there are many things to despair about on the continent. Yet if given a choice, I would choose to focus on those stories that uplift and encourage.These are the things that weigh heavy on my mind. What is the good news that can be learned from Africa and Zambia specifically? Where are the success stories and people that need to be trumpeted? How can well-meaning individuals connect with others who are also striving to improve their sphere of influence? Where can these people meet and exchange ideas and spur positive change?Well why not a blog?
This is more of a test blog really, I will post articles on positive stories that I find in Zambia and wherever else my travels may take me over the next three months. The hope is that this will be interlaced with links to resources and websites of those making a difference and perhaps I can even convince some people I look up to on writing a guest post or two.What's in a name?
The last thing that remains to be clarified is the reason behind the URL. 'Kunachi' means daybreak in my mother tongue Luvale and the aim of the blog is to be a forum for the exchange of ideas, a place of enlightenment, where each dawn brings with it new opportunities for African success.
No comments:
Post a Comment